May 26, 2011

Going vegan....

...is not as easy as I thought it was going to be.

Many thanks to my husband who is good natured enough to go on this ride with me. He grew up hunting deer and elk and was carniverous until we started dating. :) He will tell you that I have never forced my eating habits upon him. (At least he BETTER...just kidding) He just likes to be a team player. :)

My daughter says she is an omnivor. Vegan at our house, carnivor at her Dad's house. :)

I've been vegetarian since the now infamous hamburger incident when I was 9. My sisters have also passed in and out of vegetarian phases (not due to the hamburger incident). I think it was Heather that proclaimed that she would not eat anything with a face. :)

As a vegetarian, I had a love affair with dairy products, especially cheese. Cheese makes anything taste wonderful. Also, gravy...the kind you buy in powdered form at Costco...we always kept a big bottle of that stuff in our cupboard.

A completely vegan diet was introduced to me during the most recent class I'm taking in the Master Herbalist course. Different schools or doctors give it their own name. Dr. Christopher calls it the mucusless diet. Sounds appealing, yes?

As we've cleared out our old stuff to make way for healthier stuff, I can't believe how many every day products have chicken or beef bases to them....and I thought I was a vegetarian! :)

Luckily, there is a wealth of really yummy recipies out there for this vegan lifestyle. We haven't tried one we haven't liked yet. It's just a big lifestyle change and change in our buying habits. A lot of the stuff we buy isn't available at Wal-Mart. :)

Don't worry, I'm not going to force my eating habits on you. :) Just don't be one of the hundreds of people that keep telling me that if I eat the steak THEY make, I'll like it. :)

Which brings me to my last point for today....food storage. There aren't a whole lot of non-meat or dairy options in the food storage world. I think my next project is going to be to create a little handbook for the edible plants that grow around our area that could sustain us in an emergency.

Love and namaste

1 comment:

Post a Comment