December 8, 2009

Why I love Spongebob....

This post will not contain a picture of Spongebob since I could not for the life of me get it to load.....I suppose I do not need a picture to make my point. :) And with that, some brief thoughts for the day....

It seems like a lot of good thinking time comes when I'm running. It's been cold, windy, and rainy the last few days, so I've been running on the treadmill....reading during my walking breaks. I read a paragraph about the roles we play in life. The role of the "adult", the "boss", the "victim", the "housewife", etc. It was talking about how the roles we play are associated with different emotions for us. It made me think about an episode of Spongebob.

Everyone in Bikini Bottom was making fun of Spongebob for being a baby since he liked getting hugs and kisses from his grandma. He decided to conform to their idea of who he was and play the role of an "adult". As an adult, he stopped playing, pasted sideburns to his head, talked only of work and refused hugs and kisses from his grandma. His grandma then taught him a valuable lesson. Since he wanted to only do "adult" type things, the gifts she gave him were office supplies and dictionaries. She didn't make him her special cookies for a treat because she "knew he was very busy". He played his roll for a little while (especially within sight of the public); but soon broke down and realized that he liked who he was....he liked all of the unique things about himself...and yes, he liked getting hugs and kisses from his granny. :) I thought to myself, why would those people make fun of Spongebob anyway? I think it is because they were jealous of his happiness and wanted him to feel like they felt. I wonder if they did not have a grandma to give them kisses. Anyway....that is why I love Spongebob....he is young at heart, an eternal optimist, willing to serve and give all he has to literally anyone, always laughing, and secretly....he is a little naive. :)

Those thoughts led me back to a day jumping on the trampoline with my little brothers and sisters. I was probably 25 years old at the time. Bubba said to me, "You act just like a kid". I was grateful for that comment...and I wonder if I am still child-like?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My wise sister, I <3 you. Your insights often touch my heart and make me cry :,) You help me to remember and desire to wholey by me. Thank you.

Post a Comment