My meeting last week with iSchool did not turn out exactly as I had expected it would. It did a lot of good things...I met a wonderful woman who is going to help us turn the application into something better than it currently is. So, what happened was really this: she took off my blindfold, sat me in the seat of the biggest roller coaster ever and pushed the button that starts it. :) Lucky for me, she is sitting in the seat beside me. Lucky for me, I'm not a bit afraid of roller coasters. :) She helped me to remember that part of being a good leader is delegation and follow up. She also helped me to make some goals to help everyone feel a greater sense of belonging to this application. She started a charter school 4 years ago in Utah County and has a wealth of knowledge about what it takes to apply and run a school. She is me in 6 years from this point. :) After learning how to do this, I want to help other people do the same thing.
With all the other things going on in life....I ask myself at least once a day why I am doing this. When things start spilling off my plate, I have to adjust and keep the things that are most important on the plate....while leaving some less important things on the buffet for the next trip around. For the sake of a visual example to help me relate here....my family(Emma, Cory, and everyone else) is my mashed potatoes. No matter how many times I fill my plate, the mashed potatoes go on first and everything fills in around them. :) Work and the projects I am responsible for there are the roll, or rolls (depending on how hungry I am). The roll supports the mashed potatoes and is also always on the plate. The charter school project is the veggie....corn, green beans or fried okra...I don't care which. There is always a veggie to mix with the mashed potatoes. Someday....and it might be 10 years from now....the veggie might not have to be the charter school, but right now it is. The gravy is the fun things we need to add to make life worth while. Mashed potatoes are nothing without good gravy. There are a bunch of other really nice things on the table.....jello, pasta salad, etc etc....but they don't fit on the plate right now. So, why am I doing this? It's important and I can see the benefit spreading a lot farther than just Emma, who I wanted this for in the first place. It will effect children and families who will then take their influence out to the section of the world they are responsible for. I only hope this is the pebble that starts an avalanche.
I am grateful for Cory who supports me in everything. Life would be a whole lot more difficult without him.
No comments:
Post a Comment