October 28, 2010

Day 4- The story Cory doesn't want me to tell. :)

Woke up in a little camp ground next to a babbling brook. It was chilly, and the tent was so wet with dew that when I first reached for the zipper, I thought maybe an animal had decided to pee on the tent. As I walked by the light of my flashlight to the bathroom, I noticed all the other campers that were camping in their nice warm RV's. I wished that I was one of them....that's more like my idea of camping. When you're ready to leave, you just turn the key and drive away. :)

Here's the part Cory doesn't want me to tell....I was cold and trying to hurry getting things packed back into the car. I guess I was closing the car doors too hard and clanging the metal doors of the bear box too loudly. Cory told me to be quiet since people were still sleeping. I'm not big on camp etiquette, but it was starting to get light outside....people understand if you want to get in your bear box for some hot chocolate mix, right? Well, about 2 minutes after Cory told me to be quiet, he leaned against the car, setting off the car alarm with the key remote in his pocket. In the nice QUIET campground, the car alarm was blaring....and blaring....from the neighboring tent an unintelligible shout....I am snickering to myself whilst sipping hot chocolate. :D

We spent the day hiking in Kings Canyon. There was a big field where you could see the huge stumps of so many cut Sequoias. It reminded me of the story of the Lorax by Dr. Suess. So sad that so many of these trees were cut down needlessly. I am a tree hugger....so it makes me sad to see a tree over 3,000 year old would be cut down just because it's big.

We ended the day in Yosemite, hiking through one of the giant Sequoia groves there. It's interesting that this iconic tree that everyone used to drive through fell so many years ago....but it seems like nobody knows that. I heard so many people asking, "where is the tree you can drive through?". They said that now the hike to the fallen tree is one of the most popular in the park.
Here is Cory standing by the fallen tree that everyone used to drive through.

One thing we noticed was the different rules between parks....in Sequoia and Kings we could walk up to the Sequoia's and touch them. In Yosemite, all the Sequoias were blocked off by fences. It's probably a good idea to stay a good distance from the giant trees....the branches falling from them are as big as a normal BIG tree. :)
We drove down the road and stopped at this super fancy looking hotel...we were just going to see how much it cost for the night. I was surprised again to find out that you can negotiate the price for a hotel room, even in a fancy hotel. She said $250. We said we couldn't afford that and asked her if she knew of any hotels that were close that were cheaper. We negotiated all the way down to $99. Cory mentioned we were on our honeymoon and she said she was going to upgrade us to a nicer room. You know those cards on the hotel-room door that have to say how much the room is worth? Ours said the room usually goes for $550 a night. We felt lucky to have a shower and a soft bed. :) It was a nice room. Cory wanted to take a picture in the bath-robe hanging in the closet. We had a really nice dinner in the hotel restaurant and when we got back to the room, the lady from the front desk had sent us up a bottle of wine. We aren't wine fans....so we're saving it for someone who is. :)

More later....

No comments:

Post a Comment