This is taking a lot longer than I thought. I'll try to get a couple of posts done today.
We woke up this day in a cute little town called Kernville. It seemed to be a little tourist spot for fishing on the river. The grocery store/fish bait shop was open at 6am...run by a cute family who had their son's high school football pictures posted up behind the cash register. :) This was the first day we drove in to Sequoia National Park and saw the giant trees. When you first see these trees, you can't help but say, "Wow!" They are amazing and it's so hard to get a picture of just how giant they really are. Cory wanted to climb up each one.
First time I've ever seen a tarantula crossing the road. :) I guess it happens all the time. Cory tried to show me a few times on this trip, but most of the time what he thought was a tarantula turned out to be a pile of bear scat on the road. :)
We passed through miles and miles of orchards and dozens of fruit stands. If you know Cory at all, you know he can't resist a good fruit stand. Even after we stopped and bought all he wanted at one stand, he wanted to stop and see if any of the others had anything else. We stopped at 3 fruit stands that day and bought a lot of fruit. :)
This is Cory's happy face after he gets to stop at a fruit stand. :)
Inside Sequoia is where we first started seeing signs for active bears. Cory looked for them everywhere we went. :)
We were nerds and bought some Sequoia seeds from the gift shop. If we can get them to grow in the yard....they will be here long after we are gone. :)
We were nerds and bought some Sequoia seeds from the gift shop. If we can get them to grow in the yard....they will be here long after we are gone. :)I chose this picture because of the worried look you can see on Cory's face. :) He stopped here and waited for me while I hiked the rest of the way to the top of the rock. He said the railing they had placed along the trail didn't look very safe becaue it jiggled when he tried to see if it was secure. :)
The little house pictures are of a home someone made out of a fallen Sequoia sometime in the early 1900's.
You can also see the only tree that you can now drive your car through.
And we had one baby bear sighting. That night when we were setting up the tent, I thought there was bear poo next to our tent site. Cory said it was deer poo. Whatever it was, it was enough for me to take the bear signs seriously and lock up even my minty smelling chapstick. :)
For more about our trip, click on October postings. Hopefully I'll have some time to get to wedding stuff soon. Keep checking back. :)
Namaste.


No comments:
Post a Comment