January 12, 2011

You may be right.....

...I may be crazy...but as we like to say in our house, "I love crazy people". Yes, that's actually something we say a lot around here.

I've been wanting to go back to school for the past 2 years...but just kept making good excuses to myself why I should wait....stuff like it's expensive or the charter school is already taking up 40 hours of my week... and the like. What influenced my decision to start now? I think it was the realization that I'm not getting any younger....the recent politics happening related to my long term viability at work....long talks with friends who have done it and have opportunities stretched out in front of them...and maybe just a touch of "everyone else at work is going back to school, so why can't I?" I'm just kidding. I've just always wanted to do this, so I finally clicked the button and started classes last week.

I'm starting with classes in natural healing to become a master herbalist. You know that I've always been a plant nerd and fascinated with things that come from the earth. Just a week into it and I feel like I'm home. This will not be hard....it will be fun....which is what it has to be since it will take time and money. I need to feel like it's for my enjoyment. :)

After I complete Master Herbalist, I will start the Paramedic to RN program...and then Nurse Practitioner, specializing in Pediatrics and Natural Healing. That's my plan....we'll see where it goes from there. I'm also very interested in Reflexology and Iridology.

The best part is that Cory is just as big a plant nerd as I am. :) We've already started plans to expand our greenhouse and put up solar heating. Emma is completely excited. After I finish school, she wants to open a store where I can sell herbs and help sick people, Cory can have a bakery and she can sell the hats and pillows she sews. :) (She got a sewing maching for Christmas)

Speaking of sewing machines...we were strolling through DI on Saturday when we saw a serger. I finished a jean quilt over Christmas, and I was looking for a serger to do the edges. All the ones we saw online were over $500, so I figured I would eventually find a friend who had one or find one at a garage sale or something. This serger was in perfect condition...just looked like it had been sitting in someone's garage for the past 5 years. It was dusty and had a couple bugs inside...but it works perfectly! It was $70. We were so excited to get such a great deal. You may be thinking that $70 at DI is a rip-off....and yes, I always try to bargain...even at DI. This DI doesn't bargain. I guess it's because if you don't buy it for the price they have listed, someone will come behind you 10 minutes later and buy it....so they don't really care. When we got home we looked on Ebay and the same model serger was selling for $550. Does it make YOU feel better when you know you could have spent a lot, but you spent a little? It does for me. :)

Love and Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment