Started out this Mother's Day with two very different women...both mothers.
One was a grandmother who had adopted 3 boys during different stages of her life, and was never able to have any of her own. Her story was beautiful and touching as she told me about them and then how she had also adopted her grandson when her son was not able to care for him.
The other was a young woman I have met many times on the job. We've developed a sort of friendship over the many months. Her story is very different. 4 children by different fathers, all taken from her because she has been deemed unfit to care for them. She expressed to me that she would not be turning on her phone today because she didn't want to see or hear from anyone who would say anything to her about Mother's Day. She doesn't feel like a mother.
Then I think of my own Mom and Step-Mom, my grandmothers and aunts, sisters and best friends who are each the greatest mothers to their kids that I could imagine. I think of the hand-made cards, breakfasts in bed, hugs and kisses from those little ones (and big ones) that have become our modern-day celebration of Mother's Day....and the women who feel excluded from that joy, like my friend above that isn't in the mood to celebrate today. Also, the women who long to be mothers and aren't yet...and even the ones who don't want to be moms, but care for the children around them.
This is a day to celebrate all women for their motherly potential and innate kindness.
I think of how much I love my child and how every thought I have includes what would be best for her. I'm grateful to be a mom. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment