March 12, 2010

Return of the Plant Nerds

I love to take pictures of the greenhouse and yard and see how things have changed and grown over the years. We planted seeds for our summer vegetable garden last week. Cory also added some shelves for all the plants that wintered over inside the greenhouse. I'm surprised at the things that survived a whole year. We may need to expand the greenhouse eventually to house all our plants. :) If anyone is interested, we will have lots of extra veggies like tomato, pepper, squash, etc to share come the middle of April or so.
Cory read about a natural way to heat the greenhouse last fall. We filled a bunch of bottles with water and let the water heat up inside the greenhouse during the day. At night, the temperature inside stayed about 5 degrees warmer than the outside. It seems to be a good plan....comparing to last year when the inside of the greenhouse was always about 5 degrees colder for some reason.
We decided to try herbs in the garden this year since we use them a lot in cooking. These pots just happened to be on sale for a dollar one day while we were browsing the winter plant sales. They came with dehydrated soil that had to be one of the coolest things I've ever seen. :) It was about the size of a 50 cent piece and maybe 1/2 inch thick. The directions said to add a few drops of water, so we mixed it up in a little can and it poofed up to be more than enough for these three pots. I'm easily amused. :)
I'm sure I've seen a broccoli flower before, but I'd forgotten how pretty they are. :)
This is one of the six broccoli plants we couldn't find room for in the garden last year. They stayed alive in pots in the greenhouse all year since I couldn't bring myself to stop watering them. They are all more than a year old now.....I don't know what I'll do with them this year, but they sure flower nicely. :)

1 comment:

CharlieJo said...

I am in awe with what you do with plants! I did not get that Terry gene. I'd love to keep plants alive. :) I may start small and try a little herb garden, or a salsa garden. And I may have to look for that dehydrated soil. sounds cool! :)

Post a Comment