October 12, 2011

"Stealing" honey....

 After our first- entirely uneventful- year of being beekeepers, the time has come to gather the honey.

We ended up with 2 hives in our yard.  If you want more background on the hives....look back into the spring of this year on what I wrote back then.

The wild hive was very vigorous and the entire hive is packed full of comb, brood, and capped honey.

The bought hive struggled a little, had to be re-queened, and will probably need supplemental feeding through the winter.  We did not plan to take any comb from that hive.

Cory and I discussed, and had to come to a compromise on how much honey to take from the wild hive.  Maybe I'm being retarded, but I feel like I'm literally STEALING from them.  They worked so hard for the honey.....and we're just breaking in, smoking them into a stupor, and stealing from their house.

We decided on 4 combs this time.  We plan to come back and re-evaluate next month to see how they are recovering from our raid.  :)

 Amazing, fragile comb.  Built perfectly.

So now we know that 4 combs yields about 8 pounds of honey and about 20 oz of bees wax.  Sticky process, but interesting.  :)  After this year of having such quiet and generous neighbors (I'm talking about the bees)...we're excited to have more hives next year.  



3 comments:

Emily said...

those hives are beautiful! was it what you were expecting?

FireMedicMom said...

Emily, we've read so many books that have said contradictory things....we didn't exactly know what to expect. I guess everyone's backyard beekeeping experience is just a little bit different, and varies year to year. This year was successful...so we're going to add more hives next year. :)

It's Not Perfect said...

You are such an inspiration to me :). I love your self sufficient means and ability to be healthy and happy! Love you 'Lisha!

Post a Comment