River hike with 3 kids
As you've read in past postings, Emma likes to be carried on most hikes. This hike was different, and I think we all enjoyed it! :) We got snacks and filled up the water backpack and the kids wore their swimming suits. They enjoyed the bus ride up to the trail start and only asked about 74 times "Are we there yet?'.
They didn't even complain on the mile hike that led to the river. I might have heard about 17 more times, "when are we going to get there?' before I didn't want to answer that question anymore and we started thinking up all the different ways to say "throw up". Here are a few of the ones we came up with: upchuck, toss your cookies, spew, lose your lunch, projectile vomit, etc.....we were all laughing pretty hard and it made the 20 minute walk seem shorter to the kids. :)
The kids did great, no one asked to be carried, we ate snacks and the kids sucked the water backpack dry. :) I think I heard, "i'm gonna pee my pants" about 5 times before I said to just pee in the river because there is just nowhere else to go. :) The kids also saw a bunch of tourists carrying expensive walking sticks, so they decided to pick up their own pieces of driftwood and use them as "walking sticks". We love to hike, so I hope the kids get used to it. :) As they get older, we'll attempt longer ones and hopefully it will be good memories for them. :)
Namaste
1 comment:
That is one of my favorite hikes in Zions. Someday I will have to do it with my kids.
Post a Comment