This picture is from last year's SG half(with Judy and Mandy).....but I ran alone this year and didn't take any pictures of myself. :) It was a good race...beautiful as it always is, and COLD as it always is. :) I don't think I could have asked for a more beautiful day for the race though. :) It was sunny without wind and I was warm enough wearing a normal running outfit and starting with a sweatshirt. It was only REALLY cold in the shady areas, and a little icy. :) I love running races with so many people. It always makes me think of all of us running our respective races in life. Some of us finish fast, some slow- some stop for water and some don't think they have the time- some have to take potty breaks and some potty before the race(when you have to go, you have to GO!)- but we all eventually reach the end. :) I heard a lot of people talking excitedly about yesterday being their first half marathon.....I can't remember how many half marathons I have run, but I remember my first one and how excited I was to be there with such a big goal in front of me. The first half marathon I ran, I had never attempted to run that far before....and it was Judy running beside me that made the experience great. When I pulled up to the starting line to park, the parking lot was full of runners and fire vehicles....fire trucks and command vehicles. I had forgotten it was winter fire school weekend. No one mentioned much about it in our department this time- but it was fun for me to walk around before the race and say hi to friends from all over the state that I don't get to see except in classes or conferences once a year or so. :) I even randomly ran into a really good old friend from my first year in college- Jared. His wife was running the race- and he said she was fast! :) She played like she wasn't really that fast, but she passed me as one of the first female runners....probably even in the top 5 female runners. WOW! :) It was really good to see him- and it brought back a ton of memories for me....living with Terra in that cute little house in Provo, the good old days when I used to walk everywhere because I was too poor to buy gas, eating mostly baked potatoes and when I went out on dates, working for Kerry in the photo studio, my awesome white station wagon with the red interior that Dad fixed up for me.....ah, memories. :)
So, anyways....I think I pushed it a little too hard on the race. I ended up cramping pretty good around mile 9 and didn't finish as strong as I would have liked to.....but I finished and it was a good experience overall. :) I came home and loaded up on carbs.....one of my favorite meals of pizza with mashed potatoes. :) I'll definitely run it again next year. :)
Namaste, friends. :)
1 comment:
You are so awesome! I can't believe the amount of self discipline it takes to run so far. You look so happy. I miss you and our little Susie. Love you Mikey
Post a Comment