October 5, 2009

SG 2009 Marathon

This year's SG marathon was an interesting one for me. The Boo got in last minute by switching numbers out with someone. Cory came over at 3:30am to make sure we had everything we needed before we left. Yes, Boo wore the striped sweater which Cory bought her at DI as a joke. :) The weather was quite perfect. Boo tossed her outer sweatshirt around mile 2. It landed on a guy and we watched as he ran with it, like a prize around his shoulders into the distance. Who knows....maybe he carried it the whole way. :) We had planned to stay with the 5:30 pacer for the entire race. The first 11 miles were a breeze.....then I had to make a bathroom stop. (Thank goodness I packed toilet paper with me!) It took me 5 miles to catch the pacer group again. Boo stopped at mile 15 so as not to injure her ankles.
At mile 23, I couldn't keep up with the pacer anymore and started walking. Cory was waiting at mile 24 and found me at each half mile after that to keep me going. What a good man. :) Even the other runners/walkers around me were saying what a good guy he is. :) The Boo waited at the end and we ran in together. :) I'm pretty sure the only reason I was smiling in the above picture was because of the sign below that some friends made. :)
This year, I felt like poopy at the end of the race.....but I have also recovered quicker this year than any other. I give all the thanks to Cory for massaging me until his hands cramped up, Cory giving me an IV when I was dehydrated and cramping up, Ibuprofen, muscle relaxers and the love of good friends. There were lots of signs along the way made by family and friends of the runners to give support for the long miles. One said, "If it were easy, I would be doing it!" Another said, "Any idiot can run, but it takes a special kind of idiot to run a marathon." :) Why run a marathon? Why put the body through such intense stress and pain? Why do thousands and thousands of people keep coming back for more? :) My personal reason....it's such a sense of accomplishment to finish a marathon....knowing full well at the start that you're in for a long journey. I am inspired by the incredible spirits of those who were running around me, all doing it for the joy of the journey. Yes, I hurt at the end of each race....but I'm going to keep on going back for the simple joy of running, for the opportunity to be inspired by the people who run it along side me, for the thrill of saying to myself that "if I can run a marathon, I can do anything." :)

Namaste to all you runners, and those who support us!

No comments:

Post a Comment