October 1, 2009

"Mom, we need to get out into nature..."

The quote above: proof that I have made an imprint on my daughter, because I say this phrase quite often. :) Yesterday was one of those days that I needed to get out into nature, hike to the top of the highest mountain available, and get back into the right frame of mind again. :) Although there were a lot of items to accomplish yesterday at home, sometimes I have those days when it doesn't matter what gets done if I have a crappy attitude. So, I dropped Emma off at school, pushed all tasks to the next day on my calendar, put on my hiking shoes and was off in the Jeep....didn't know exactly where I was going yet....just out. :) I ended up stopping at my favorite little cafe for a yummy breakfast burrito and chai tea, then decided I hadn't done the Angel's Landing hike for about 10 years....so I might as well try it again.
(Doesn't this look like a star? I'm sure someone cut it there, but it was pretty random and neat to see on the trail)
Most days I feel pretty bulletproof....things run smoothly according to my schedule and list for the day....and if they don't run smoothly, I can handle it. :) That's most days. :) I've had a lot on my plate this past month, a lot of hours at work, late nights teaching, not enough hours in the day....yakity shmakity....so just a little more stress than normal. Then a few things have happened at work that have pushed me over my personal stress limit....all of which I would rather forget about and move on with life instead of writing down to read and remember again. So that is what prompted my hike yesterday...
On my way to the trail head in the crowded shuttle, I met a really nice family from South Dakota. We chatted about what all the trails were like and it ended up they wanted to try Angel's Landing as well. I remembered the hike being difficult....and it was....but so worth it to get to the top and see the world from that perspective. When looking at the big picture like this, me and the things I'm dealing with are SO SMALL, literally and figuratively.
Do you see the trail below? That's where I came from and this picture was taken from the point I would call "half way up". :)
I don't know exactly what it is, but being out amongst the trees and such is so good for the soul. The weather was perfect and cool. I was grateful to have legs that take me where I wanted to go...glad that I could hear the water bubbling and the wind rushing through the leaves. As I climbed up the enormous cliff face on the seemingly endless switchback trail, I was grateful to remember that there is a force much bigger than me or any of the human problems that face me. I met hundreds of people on that trail yesterday, all of which face their own personal things daily....and here we all were, together, on this challenging mountain pathway.
I reached the top of Angel's Landing in 43 minutes from the trail start, my perspective doing a complete turn around in less than an hour. Then, on the way back to the Jeep, in crowded shuttle, I read a passage in "A New Earth" that completed the experience so nicely. Eckhart Tolle says, " One thing we do know: Life will give you whatever experience is most helpful for the evolution of your conciousness. How do you know this is the experience you need? Because this is the experience you are having at this moment." !!!!!! :) I LOVE bits of revelation that come at just the right time. And from everything accumulated in this experience and this life, I have to say that I do believe that there is a Higher Power, GOD, that directs us and teaches us and refines us through His own ways. If not for the struggles, how would we know how to help others? If not for the marathon training, how could we complete the marathon?

Love and Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment