this morning, quite by accident, as I was getting Emma ready for school. The beeping tone followed by instructions in a call for paramedics came across. The address sounded all too familiar. I don't like to listen to calls when I'm not working, so I turned the pager off. Within minutes, seconds even, text messages and phone calls started coming to tell me the news....someone we know well died this morning. The news was sad for me to hear. It is sad to see human suffering. We, as a group of people who respond to emergencies, see death frequently. I usually don't feel sad...but I suppose I am usually far removed from the situation. I deal with the grieving family for a few minutes, then move on...most times never seeing them again or knowing what happens afterward. When someone you know dies, I guess, it causes you to think of your own mortality....or wonder: did I do all I could have done for this person while they were here? I was taught all my life that we go to a better place when we die...that we are released from the world and the body that holds us here....we get to go back to God. I'm sitting here thinking to myself right now....do I really believe that? And the answer is: yes, I do. So, for our acquaintance who left the earth today....it is my hope that he is free from worry and pain and is able to rest in the loving arms of friends and family who were waiting. If not for that hope, I don't know how I could handle death. And so I am grateful for hope and love and faith in Jesus.
Namaste
No comments:
Post a Comment