September 15, 2009

Kolob Fingers

We decided to take a road we had never travelled before and found another treasure in the desert. The Kolob fingers.....I can't believe how many times I've driven past this and never known it was there. From the main highway, it is literally covered by the mountains in front of it. It's impossible to see unless you pay the fee (or have a national park pass) and take a drive up the road. :) I literally said "wow" when these mountains popped out as we turned a corner.
There are a couple of hikes that we want to try out sometime....but for the most part, this is just a simple 5 mile drive up to a look-out point, with lots of pull-off spots along the way for people to stop and take pictures.
I didn't know that this is actually a part of Zion National Park....but only accessible by vehicle from this way. Cory says you can come into this valley from the Hop Valley Trail....so we'll have to try it out one of these years. Emma loved it- and it was a nice 20 degrees cooler than at home.
I wish I could see how these cliffs were formed. Off to the right in this picture, you can see a little cove on top of the cliffs with tall pine trees and what appears to be a waterfall underneath.
Getting out into nature really helps me to feel connected to God. It's quiet and beautiful and inspiring. Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment