April 13, 2008

Acupuncture....my first go at it. :)

Got a flyer for a Qi Gong class that would include a portion on acupunture. Qi Gong, as I understood, was similar to Tai Chi. After going to the class, there is a lifetime worth of study to understand these oriental art forms....and, yes, they are similar. It seems to be a very individual practice where students take from their teacher and create their own style. The thing that attracted me to Qi Gong and Tai Chi is the movement that is involved in the meditation. I love yoga- but I also love the thought of movement. It's very peaceful. As I sat and listened during the class, the thought came to me that all truth seems to come together in the end and mesh and make perfect sense no matter where the truism comes from or who speaks it or what form it takes. Some of you have heard that before. I think that is what gives us those "AHA" moments. A truth speaks to our spirits and it makes sense....it feels comfortable.....it feels somehow 'right' to us. It's like finding a missing puzzle piece that you've just been waiting to find....very satisfying and refreshing.



The last part of the class was about an hour of acupuncture and meditation. I have never tried acupuncture before, and had no idea what to expect. I am up for trying new things.....so I went into it with no prior judgments. We each got the same 'treatment' with two pins in the foot and one pin in the forehead. I felt no pain, but a very odd sense of pressure. I can't relate it to anything because I haven't really felt anything like it before. As I relaxed for the hour, it was an interesting sense of waves flowing over me associated with the colors of yellow and purple. :) Not having any idea what to expect, I don't know if this is what is usual or if I'm just a weirdo. :) It was very relaxing. I'd like to find out more about it- and even try it again. :)

In other news....Scrubs is finally back on.....for like 5 more episodes before the end of it all. Scrubs is my all-time favorite show. I always come away from it having learned, laughed, cried and thought more deeply about life. I'll be sad when it's over, but at least we have all 7 seasons on DVD!!!!! :)

I had the good fortune of meeting two very interesting characters yesterday at work. Both were patients....both were men who needed our assistance. The first was an old man who insisted that I call him 'Eduardo'- even though that is not his name. :) The other was a guy about my age who made us all laugh histerically while we fixed up his painful injury. Brian Regan popped back into my head again as the patient said his pain was about a '4'. :) It all came together with an article I read yesterday morning about laughter releasing endorphins and helping people to feel better psycologically and physically.....this guy had a very painful injury and he was laughing the pain away. :) This is why I love my job so much- I get to meet so many people and be touched, however briefly, by their spirit. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment