April 9, 2008

Sunny Wednesday

Today started out cold and blustery, but has turned out nice and sunny. :) Emma is taking a nap, so I have a little time to sit and think. She doesn't take naps usually- unless we've had a long day and we're driving home from somewhere. Today was one of those. Emma came with me to an orientation for the pediatric strike team that I just got on. It's such an honor and great opportunity for me to be a part of this! Rubbing shoulders with incredible doctors, nurses and other paramedics on a pediatric specialty team is super cool. :) This team is one of two in the nation right now with the main purpose of serving pediatric patients in mass casualty incidents. I don't know what kinds of experiences are up ahead with this- but I am thrilled and lucky to be a part of it! I suppose, as humans, we want to feel that we make a difference somewhere in this world. In service to my fellow creatures (humans, animals, plants....) is where I hope to make my little difference.

I was reminded yesterday how life changes from moment to moment. To live in the present moment and appreciate it for what it is, not wishing it away to some past event that will never return or some future event that you may not make it to.....is a huge thing to learn. No matter what your belief system is, it seems that all things happen for a reason. Whether you call it Karma or an act of God, we are all fragile human beings.

The Starfish Story
adapted from The Star Thrower
by Loren Eiseley
1907 - 1977


Once upon a time, there was a wise man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach before he began his work.

One day, as he was walking along the shore, he looked down the beach and saw a human figure moving like a dancer. He smiled to himself at the thought of someone who would dance to the day, and so, he walked faster to catch up.

As he got closer, he noticed that the figure was that of a young man, and that what he was doing was not dancing at all. The young man was reaching down to the shore, picking up small objects, and throwing them into the ocean.

He came closer still and called out "Good morning! May I ask what it is that you are doing?"

The young man paused, looked up, and replied "Throwing starfish into the ocean."

"I must ask, then, why are you throwing starfish into the ocean?" asked the somewhat startled wise man.

To this, the young man replied, "The sun is up and the tide is going out. If I don't throw them in, they'll die."

Upon hearing this, the wise man commented, "But, young man, do you not realize that there are miles and miles of beach and there are starfish all along every mile? You can't possibly make a difference!"

At this, the young man bent down, picked up yet another starfish, and threw it into the ocean. As it met the water, he said, "I made a difference to that one!"

No comments:

Post a Comment