February 19, 2009

Blood Draw!

Emma's blood draw turned out to be very....non-traumatic in the end. :) I chose not to tell her about it until she was actually sitting in the blood draw chair. :) After I picked her up from school, we drove up to the lab....she said, "Hey, this isn't the way home!" I told her we needed to get some tests done at the doctor's office. She was agreeable and even excited because she knows one of my friends who works there in the lab. When we sat down in the chair, she happily said, "No needles, no shots!" :) There was no hiding it at that point...I got a look of betrayal and then the crying started. They did an excellent job of distracting her, letting her feel her veins and getting treats to bribe her with. :) It ended up with me sitting in the chair holding her in my lap, crossing my leg over her legs so she couldn't kick- I held the arm that got poked and the other arm had to be held behind her. She is a strong little bugger. :) Once the needle was in, she looked over and watched the blood getting sucked up into the tube. When everything was done, she said it didn't even hurt.
She got a shiny band-aid, and when we got home she wanted to see the hole where the needle went. She looked at the band-aid and said, "Look, Mom, it's my blood!" She has never been scared of blood....and now she is not scared of getting her blood drawn....although I hope it's not going to be a common occurrance. She came away with a handful of princess stickers, a sucker, a rubber frog and an ice cream sandwich. She sure knows how to work the system! :)

1 comment:

The Childs said...

Wow, it must be the sick week. We are just getting over everything we have had for a week. Emma does sound pretty brave. We would have needed 5 people to hold Savanna down.

Post a Comment