February 11, 2009

My allergic reaction :)


I have developed an allergy to sulfa based antibiotics. :) I have had an ongoing bladder infection for the past month that just won't go away...despite different antibiotics and gallons of cranberry juice and every home remedy I can try. :) 3 weeks ago I was on an antibiotic- and woke up the last day of taking it with my skin all mottled (blotchy). It wasn't itchy or red, so I just thought it was weird and chalked it up to one of those weird lupus things. The blotchiness went away after a day. 2 days ago, my doctor decided to try that same antibiotic again. I took the first one at noon....and by 3:00 my skin was bright red and mottled. By 5:00 I was itching all over my body and my lips started to swell. It was enough to scare me, even though I have Epinephrine at home in my jump bag....I took Benadryl that night and have continued to take it twice a day just to relieve the itchiness. :) I called my doctor and switched to a different antibiotic, non-sulfa based. :) I just have to remember to add that to my list of allergies. The only other thing I've ever had a reaction to, medicine wise, was the Hepatitis B shot. Hence, I don't know if I'm really immune because I had a reaction to the first shot, and they didn't give me the rest of the series.

In the midst of all of this, Emma came home from school Monday crying that she felt sick. She developed a fever and threw up a bunch....luckily we only had to wash a couple of things. :) I don't know if I got the same bug that Emma did, or if it was just the allergic reaction, but Emma and I were both miserable and didn't get up from bed from Monday night up until about lunch time today, Wednesday. The last time I remember feeling that sick was Christmas time about 4 years ago. I feel grateful that I was able to take a sick day from work and rest and let Emma rest. I am also grateful that I don't get sick like that very often. It is such a horrible feeling to be stuck in bed because I just didn't have the energy to stand. Blah.

I'm really thankful to Cory for taking care of me and Emma for the last two days. :) He did everything I couldn't do....cleaned, cooked, went to the store and got us medicine, filled our water bottles, etc. :)

Namaste and good health to you all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment