Butterfly Palace
The Butterfly Palace....another place I wish we could have near us. :) We were in a semi-rush that day, and only got about an hour, but I would have loved to spend a few hours there. When you enter the butterfly room, they have explorer hats and binoculars for the kids to use. Ok, ok...I put an explorer hat on too. :) jk But Cory did.
There were thousands of butterflys...all kinds and colors. The lady inside said that they mostly had species that were not native to the US. It was also slightly dark inside the butterfly room, so I did not get any good pictures of butterflys. Since they are something you have to get close to appreciate, my flash washed out all the colors. There were also little chinese quail running around in here. Emma wanted to hold one because they were so cute....round little bodies and tiny little heads that seemed disproportionate.
They told us that they are not allowed to let the butterflys lay eggs according to some federal law (since they have species not native to the US). So they order all these cocoons. I asked how they stop the butterflys from laying eggs. She said that they will only lay eggs on citrus leaves, so they have no citrus inside this room....and the butterflys don't lay any eggs. That is an interesting fact that I didn't know.
Butterflys were everywhere....we saw them flying, sipping nectar, trying to hide inside brightly colored flowers, and even some dead or dying. Whenever Emma saw one dead, she would rush over to the lady in charge and tell her so they could pick it up. Emma cares alot about creatures.
Just before they closed the doors and kicked us out, we saw a big turtle habitat in the lobby. Emma is obsessed with turtles right now. One day on our trip, we stopped at Bass Pro and spent about an hour looking at their turtle habitat. She wanted to stay longer and wouldn't leave until I promised to buy her a turtle someday. The lady here heard Emma say how much she loved turtles, so she got one out for Emma to touch. :) When she gets her very own turtle, she wants to name it either "Tiny Tim" or "Emma Jr.". :)
No comments:
Post a Comment