With all the tragedy in Haiti in the last week, I asked myself, Why? Why do people have to suffer? Why Haiti? Why the children? Ageless questions we all ask ourselves as personal or global tragedies occur. In my mind, I think tragedy teaches us. The people going through it learn....and those who watch from afar also learn. We can choose to become bitter or better. We can choose to help in any way possible or we can pretend it doesn't exist. We can say to ourselves, "My contribution wouldn't go very far" or we can say to ourselves, "I am only one person, but still I am the one who will do SOMETHING."
I got 2 emails today with messages about our current state of affairs in the government. It seems hard to be optimistic when we literally watch our freedoms that we love being voted away by politicians who don't care about us. And still...our days go on....our "to do" lists get checked off, we assume the government is doing what is best for us. I guess it's time for me to stop assuming and take a stand for what I love and the country my child will grow up in.
"God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the Courage to change the things I can, and the Wisdom to know the difference"
1 comment:
I absolutely love that saying. I have it hanging in my home and really try to read it often.
Post a Comment