March 9, 2009

Auntie's Dance Concert

Auntie Boo invited us up to watch her dance concert last weekend. Emma was SO excited to go and watch Auntie dance. She said the last time she saw Auntie dancing was when she lived with us. Emma made sure I brought my camera and her autograph book. :)

We had dinner at Pizza Factory before the performance, and Auntie told us a little about what to expect....and I am glad she did. :) Modern dance is so neat to watch. If Boo hadn't explained some of the stories behind the dances, however, I never would have guessed what they were about. :)

The entire performance was amazing. The dancing was incredible...the kind that made me want to get up and dance again. Boo was inspiring! I knew she was a good dancer...but I haven't seen her on stage in many years. She looked beautiful and professional and she has such a great talent. :)

Emma's favorite dance was one that was like a ho-down. :) I had a few favorites- it would be hard to pick just one. All of the music was great- even one live piece with piano and bass. 3 numbers stand out in my mind. One was about the relationship between two trees that lived across a body of water from eachother- they had apparently known eachother in a different form in a past life. It was very thought provoking and beautiful. The visual effects in the background, the colors of the lighting, the dancers, and the actors who played the trees....wow! It was left up to imagination what happened between the two trees...but the dancers were wonderful....and my imagination lent me to see wars and death and even the chopping down of one of the trees. I laughed out loud during some parts and cried as well. It was beautiful. :) Another piece had costuming that made me think it was a relationship between two fish. The dancers flowed so well together. It made me smile. The last piece of the evening- the one that Boo had a solo in- was about the "awakenings" we have in our lives....at different points. The dancers seemed to bring understanding to a lone male dancer who was dressed only in black short tights. To me, it was like all of us- almost naked on our stage with beauty and understanding coming to us in leaps and great epiphanies. Also in the piece was an adagio- one of the most beautiful I've ever seen. A great pas de deux to me is like the ultimate in romantic relationships. :) It's like everything I've imagined in a complete relationship between a man and a woman. A strong man partnering the woman with breathtaking lines, turns and holds. There seemed to be a perfect one-ness between them as he partnered her so well. :)

Yet again, Emma fell asleep right after intermission. :) We took this picture of her asleep with all the dancers...and they all signed her autograph book. She was grateful when she woke up....and even smiled a little. :) I'm so glad Auntie invited us to see such a great concert!!

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment