March 11, 2009

I'm a plant nerd :)

I am the biggest plant nerd. I love all my plants like they were family members and dote on them like they are my children. Maybe not as much attention as I give my child, but plenty of attention. :) If I had to move away from my plants, I would cry....and I do cry when plants die. Yes, I am a plant nerd, a tree hugger, an earth lover....what ever you want to call me...and I am happy. :) I'm extra happy right now because the weather has been so nice and everything is beginning to bloom! Here, above, are the buds of the peach tree in my yard. :)
Almond blooms are among the prettiest and earliest around here. I love how well they contrast the blackened bark of the almond tree with their white smile. :) I want to learn how to take care of my almond tree better. Last year, I got a lot of almonds....but they were shriveled. Maybe I picked them too early? Maybe I watered too much?
Surprise, surprise....the greenhouse is completely full of plants! If you enlarge the picture, you can see all the cute little seedlings that have sprouted in the last 3 weeks since we had our planting day. :) The strawberries are already putting out blooms, and everything has popped up but the tomatoes.....
Yes, that is a topsy turvey planter you can see in the top left corner of this picture. :) I got it for my birthday. :) Funny story....I thought I could just fill it up myself and hang it up effortlessly like in all the commercials. :) Well, turns out that dirt is heavy.....and I couldn't set it down because the plant hangs out the frikkin' bottom of the thing....so, I cut my hands all up on the wire hanger trying to hang it up without killing the tomato plant. :) Then the funny thing is that the tomato is growing up....like it knows it just isn't natural to hang upside down and it's trying to right itself. :) You can also see here the raspberry bush, the blueberry bush, the baby lettuce and the biggest artichoke. I'm having WAY too much fun out in the greenhouse every day. There is something so fulfilling about watching things grow. Oh- the peas burst out of their little starter homes, so we planted them out in the big garden yesterday. :)

If you can stand it, a lot of my postings will probably be about projects in the yard. :) Also on my list for summer projects are lots of hiking, charter school board meetings and going to the theatre. A friend of mine offered me tickets to a bunch of plays if I will write an opinion/review on them after I go. I told him I'm not a writer.....and who can pass up theatre tickets? :) YAY!

1 comment:

The Childs said...

I'm jealous for two reasons.
1-you are in sunny St. George where you are able to plant gardens because there isn't still snow on the ground!
2-You have a big enough yard to plant all of these things. Nothing tastes better than food fresh from the garden.

Post a Comment