that in our state alone there are 8 different families of butterflies? I didn't know that until today. There are so many cool things to learn about this beautiful world we live in! We were out in the yard and I saw this little guy clinging to a leaf on the apple tree. It was a little cold and windy, and it didn't fly away when I walked up to take pictures.
We decided to put it in the greenhouse so it could warm up. It climbed right up onto my finger and we walked into the greenhouse together. :)
As soon as we got into the greenhouse, it flew over to these pretty orange flowers and took a drink. Did you know the butterfly's tongue is called a proboscis? Cool, huh? :)
I could be wrong, but I think this butterfly is a Swallowtail. If someone is more educated in butterfly species identification, please correct me. :)
It felt a little bit creepy to have it crawling around on our hands....a little like I imagine a spider would feel like. It was about 50 degrees outside, and about 85 degrees in the greenhouse. A few minutes later, we opened up the greenhouse door and the pretty butterfly sailed away. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment