I found a new Jeep trail behind our city that even DJ had never seen or heard about before- and he's lived here all his life. I call it a Jeep trail mostly because you need 4 wheel drive to go down it, and the only vehicles we saw out there were Jeeps. I guess the new 4 door Jeep is pretty popular- we saw 3 of them out there besides ours. :) This trail took us to one of the prettiest hiking spots I've ever been to. In our city is a golf course with a gorgeous backdrop of red rocks. I've always wanted to hike into it, but never knew how. I stumbled onto it purely by accident, and we'll go back often now that we've found it.
This is a pretty common picture I see of Emma. She is always picking me flowers.
A giant cactus on the trail. This is such pretty country....look at the land behind the cactus. :)
I thought the Desert Tortoise was a myth....well, not really....but they have signs everywhere telling people to watch out for them and fences up along most of the roads so the Tortoises don't get hit. It's illegal here to pick one up- and if you happen to find one in the road, you are supposed to take it across the road in the exact direction it was pointed in, otherwise it will get lost. Long story short- I've never seen one and don't know anyone who has ever seen one until the day we were out on this Jeep trail. A bunch of people were stopped in the middle of the road- they came back to our Jeep and told us they found a Desert Tortoise. We all snapped pictures of it. I'm sure it's the only one I'll ever see. :)
We did just one geocache on this trail- and found an old silver mine. It's blocked off, as you can see, but I heard it was once a thriving part of this town.
Emma couldn't wait to jump out of the Jeep and go on the sandy trail.
Old wood is neat.
Emma got tired and needed to be carried most of the way back up the hill.
Near the end of the trail, it drops down into the Virgin River.
They don't look sunburnt, do they? I don't know why my face burns so easy...mostly my nose. It was a beautiful day and a beautiful hike! We'll go back again when we have more time to explore. I got back last night from a HazMat conference in Richfield. Spent the whole week there, learned some good stuff, was reminded of some good stuff, met lots of new people, and got re-aquainted with some old people. (Not OLD people....old friends....well some of them could be considered OLD people, but that's all relative) A lot of the old friends were ones I met in HazMat and Chemistry courses over the past couple years. Some of the new ones were National Guard Army guys that are HazMat specialists. I saw them going out for a run after class one night and asked if I could come along. Dang if they didn't pick the hardest trail out there. It was literally 2 miles straight up a mountain...then back down. They wasted me on the uphill, but I beat two of them on the way down. That's where the leg cramps come in- it was a 6 mile run on dirt with a great steep downhill. I was trying hard to lengthen my stride and praying I wouldn't fall and eat dirt. :) I guess it could have been funny. Also attended a class on the dogs they use for arson investigation and bomb detection. Pretty cool stuff.
Since I'm thinking about dogs....did you know our dogs like to climb up Emma's playset and slide down the slide? They do it all by themselves. It's hillarious! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment